✿ Thank you for your visit to the homepage of Maki Teramoto's deep seawater laboratory. We are mainly researching marine bacteria including deep ocean residents using molecular biological techniques. Deep seawater and organisms inhabiting the seep seawater region used for the sampling are mainly piped up by Kochi Prefectural Deep Seawater Laboratory & Aqua Farm (Muroto, Kochi). We conduct basic and applied research toward innovation as well as just for curiosity for nature. ✿
By ecological studies, we obtain information on microbes characteristic of or important for the surrounding environment and utilize their beneficial ability.
- Analysis of plastic-degrading environments will be started. new
- Bacteria inhabiting deep seas.
- Acquisition of highly novel marine bacteria and analysis of their characteristics (We'veve established even a novel order).
We explore mainly for marine bacteria, as bacteria are so diverse and are thus supposed to show various functions. We utilize the microbes including their genetic resources.
- Plastic-degrading bacteria are being explored. new
- A myxol-based highly hydrophilic novel carotenoid produced by a marine bacterium of a novel genus. (Published)
- Genome analysis of a deep-sea bacterium (Published)
- Marine bacteria producing novel antibiotics.
- Metabolite analysis of a bacterium which dominated in a deep-sea environment.
- Marine bacteria producing oils which can be (bio)fuel (In press)
We design and construct useful microbes with genetic modifications. The useful microbes created will be bacteria, archaea, plant cells etc.
✿ We've found a novel petroleum-oil-producing bacterium. Using its genetic resources, we are working "eco-friendly petroleum mass-producing project" at the moment. ✿
Oct 2018 Scheduled for welcoming 3 third-year undergrads.
✿ Yosakoi Break ✿
Jul 2018 Started working with a new assistant. Welcome!
Jun 2018 Had a guest from NITE, Chiba for possible future collaboration.
Apr 2018 Had Prof. Miyamoto's group of Keio University for a kick-off meeting about plastic biodegradation project.
Apr 2018 Had Dr. Suzuki of NIID about antibiotic exploration project.
Happy summer holidays ♪ ✿ (╹◡╹)✿ Lab staff